[OS X TeX] Two missing characters

Don Green Dragon fergdc at shaw.ca
Mon Jan 28 20:45:06 CET 2013

Hello Ettore,

On 21Jan2013, at 5:27 PM, Ettore Aldrovandi wrote:

> \documentclass{article}
> \usepackage[utf8]{inputenc}
> \usepackage[T1]{fontenc}
> \usepackage{textcomp}
> \begin{document}
> \textquotesingle Single quotes\textquotesingle
>
> \textquotedbl Double quotes\textquotedbl
> \end{document}

Well that works nicely, your example, that is!  Added \usepackage{textcomp} to my standard template and it works there too, but with a quibble which I give below.

I noted a small difference. Your example uses \documentclass{article} whereas in my basic template I use \documentclass{book}. So, in your example, \documentclass{article} was changed to \documentclass{book}, and, on typesetting, I could not 'see' any difference between the 'article' version and the 'book' version.

However, with my standard template, which uses \documentclass{book}, there was a small but easily noticed difference. The single quotes guy was fine, same as with your examples, but the double quotes character was too squashed; i.e., the two single quotes were jammed too closely together. On printout, the same difference showed up using my basic template. However, the versions produced with my template will be just fine!

Many thanks for your suggestion.

Don Green Dragon
fergdc at Shaw.ca