[OS X TeX] Word count in TS

Joshua Smith jhs0807 at gmail.com
Sun Jan 13 15:48:49 CET 2013

On Jan 13, 2013, at 9:24 AM, Herbert Schulz wrote:

> I don't know why there would be a difference in word/sentence count if you do a Select All or not but you might try the Droptexcount Drop Scripts available at <https://dl.dropbox.com/u/10932738/index.html> as Droptexcount.zip. Those scripts embed the texcount program and produce an html file with varying amounts of detailed information about your document and open that file in your default browser. Simply drop your .tex file onto the script you wish to use.
>
> Good Luck,
> Herb Schulz

I have used texcount a lot, but as far as I can tell, it does not count any words that are generated by bibtex for references in an author-year format.  I have a manuscript with nearly 60 references, and all those author-year citations in the text added several hundred words to the count given by texcount and pushed me way past the limit of the journal.  I ended up using DEVONtechnologies' WordServce, which had been recommended by several people on this list, to do a count of the resulting PDF.

Josh