[OS X TeX] Slight modification of \part in Memoir class?

David Derbes loki at uchicago.edu
Wed Jan 2 16:56:09 CET 2013

I'm working on a free physics textbook. I've been given a tremendous amount of help by Lars Madsen and don't want to abuse his kindness, so I thought I'd ask here.

The \part command in Memoir prints a Part title page on odd number pages, then a blank page, then starts the next chapter (or in my case, section) on an odd number page.
What I'd like to do is print some text (typically a quote from the literature of physics) on the back of the Part title page, currently blank and unavailable. I don't want to change the pagination; I only want to use this blank page. Alternatively, the text could be added below the Part title and the following page be kept blank. I don't know what is better stylistically, nor how to achieve either in LaTeX.

Any thoughts?

Thanks in advance, and happy new year to the list members.

David Derbes
U of Chicago Laboratory Schools