[OS X TeX] Snow Leopard problem with font cache

Herbert Schulz herbs at wideopenwest.com
Fri Feb 1 23:08:41 CET 2013

On Feb 1, 2013, at 8:18 AM, Yvon Thoraval <yvon.thoraval at gmail.com> wrote:

> Yesterday i did install MacTeX.pkg over Mac OS X Snow Leopard (10.6.8).
> Did i decided to test the installation with xetex and opentype using "opentype-info.tex" making use of :
>
> % Select the font name:
> \def\myfontname{Latin Modern Roman}
> %
> %%% OpenType-info.tex %%%
>
> \font\testfont="\myfontname/ICU" at 12pt
>
> I did that after having done the following :
> $ sudo mkdir -p /etc/fonts/conf.d
> $ sudo cp /usr/local/texlive/2012/texmf-var/fonts/conf/texlive-fontconfig.conf /etc/fonts/conf.d/09-texlive.conf
> $ sudo fc-cache -fsv
> which found hundrets of fonts in :
> /usr/X11/lib/X11/fonts
> /usr/X11R6/lib/X11/fonts
> /System/Library/Fonts
> /Library/Fonts
> and ending with:
> /usr/X11/var/cache/fontconfig: cleaning cache directory
> fc-cache: succeeded
>

> after that I've tested "opentype-info.tex" using :
> $ xetex opentype-info.tex
> giving badly :
> This is XeTeX, Version 3.1415926-2.4-0.9998 (TeX Live 2012)
>  restricted \write18 enabled.
> entering extended mode
> (./opentype-info.texkpathsea: Invalid fontname `Latin Modern Roman/ICU', contains ' '
>
> ! Font \testfont="Latin Modern Roman/ICU" at 12.0pt not loadable: Metric (TFM)
> file or installed font not found.
> l.26 \font\testfont="\myfontname/ICU" at 12pt
>
> ?
>
> some one on french forum gave me an advice to verify mu setup :
> $ fc-list -v | grep -i latin
> giving no output at all.
>
> what did I mess ??
> i've already installed MacTeX.pkg but rather on another computer under Mountain Lion where it is working correctly.
>
> --
> Yvon at 48.871651804,2.384858688

Howdy,

On the Mac XeTeX uses the Mac's font system rather than fc-cache, etc., so you've got to put a copy of the Latin Modern OTF fonts in one of the standard font locations.

If you still have the MacTeX installer when you come to the part where it asks about what to install make a custom install removing all the check marks already there (you already have those) and check the marks for installing the OTF fonts (TeX Gyre and Latin Modern).

(herbs at wideopenwest dot com)