[OS X TeX] PATH mystery

Ettore Aldrovandi ealdrov at math.fsu.edu
Tue Aug 6 02:20:35 CEST 2013

Hi Michael,

a little addendum to the PATH story:

On Fri, Aug 02, 2013 at 09:22:05PM -0700, Michael Sharpe wrote:

>    I had tried it both ways (paths and as a file in paths.d), ending up with
>    it in paths to make it higher priority.

There's a way to tweak the priority a bit, at least on 10.7 and 10.8,
by having the filenames in /etc/paths.d begin with two digits. So, in
the case of TeX, the filename could be NN-TeX, with the same content.
Regular filenames in /etc/paths.d go at the end of the path. The paths
listed in /etc/paths have higher priority still, so if you want
/usr/texbin in front of everything maybe the best solution is to set
the PATH from scratch in you ~/.profile (or better, in your ~/.bashrc,
if you use bash:  Terminal.app opens non-login shells).

Ettore

--
Ettore Aldrovandi
Department of Mathematics, Florida State University