[OS X TeX] Asymptote tutorial?

Alain Schremmer schremmer.alain at gmail.com
Sun Apr 21 16:46:10 CEST 2013

On Apr 21, 2013, at 7:05 AM, Peter Dyballa wrote:

> Am 21.04.2013 um 04:31 schrieb Alain Schremmer:
>
>> If you don't know French, I have long been thinking of getting to
>> work on Asymptote so you would give me an excuse actually to get
>> started.
>
> When you want to start using graphics elements inside LaTeX files,
> then I'd recommend to start with TikZ/PGF. Among the advantages is
> that you do not need/do not depend on any external utilities. Your
> workflow is very straightforward and simple. In case of bugs you
> have only one dependency: that from the author. No-one else needed
> to upgrade or patch and then rebuild the external utilities. The
> fonts used in TikZ/PGF are exactly the same as used in LaTeX. It
> cannot happen that by using am encoded LaTeX font of the same name
> the text in the asy picture is also re-encoded – and may read
> something different. Similarly when you decide to save some trees
> and reduce the font size from 12pt to 11pt or less. With TikZ/PGF
> you do not have to change anything, other graphics packages are less
> flexible. Moreover, using XeTeX or LuaTeX you can use non-English
> text for labels and annotations, even Right-To-Left scripts. TikZ/
> PGF also has clever concepts for repetitions…
>
> 	texdoc tikz

I have had the above for a long time and from what I have read of it
and about Tikz, I have long planned to learn it but "right now"
Intaglio, is "la solution de facilité"---and it is always "right now".
However, I am already using tikx-cd---which, admittedly, is cheating---
and tikx-cd is indeed very nice and will put up with things I would
not have expected: