[OS X TeX] Utopia-Fourier and Bera not found by dvips

Herbert Schulz herbs at wideopenwest.com
Mon Apr 1 14:01:46 CEST 2013

On Mar 27, 2013, at 11:10 AM, Sebastiano Pomata <sebastianopomata at tiscali.it> wrote:

> Hi everybody,
>
> I'm happily using TeXLive 2009 on MacOS X without any hassle, thus not
> even thinking about an update.
> However today, when I installed both fourier and bera packages through
> Tex Live Utility, I can't ged rid of dvips not finding both of them.
>
> Output from console:
> -----------
> dvips: Font fvsro8r not found, characters will be left blank.
> dvips: Font fvsb8r not found, characters will be left blank.
> dvips: Font fvsr8r not found, characters will be left blank.
> dvips: Font fvsr8r not found, characters will be left blank.
> dvips: Font fvsro8r not found, characters will be left blank.
> dvips: Font futb8r not found, characters will be left blank.
> dvips: Font futr8r not found, characters will be left blank.
> dvips: Font fvsb8r not found, characters will be left blank.
> dvips: Font fvsb8r not found, characters will be left blank.
> dvips: Font fvsb8r not found, characters will be left blank.
> dvips: Font futri8r not found, characters will be left blank.
> dvips: Font futro8r not found, characters will be left blank.
> ------------
>
> I have installed other fonts few time ago but I don't remember any
> trouble in using them, just installing the package and voila. I re-ran
> updmap-sys as root but without any luck.
>
> Any hint on that?
>
> Thank you
> Kind regards

Howdy,

Does pdflatex find the fonts or is this a general problem with finding the fonts? Also, installing the fourier and bera packages may not be enough to also install the fonts; I'm not sure about that. Finally, where did you put all the files for the packages? And, depending upon where you put the files, did you run `sudo texhash'?

It may very well be that there has been a change in the way fonts are named since 2009 so (sorry!) if you're running OS X 10.5 or later I'd really suggest installing TeX Live 2012 via the MacTeX installer (go to <http://www.tug.org/mactex/>). Don't worry, TeX Live 2012 should get frozen in the near future so you'll be `behind the times' soon enough :-). Oh, if you do install TeX Live 2012 please run TeX Live Utility to update to the latest versions of many packages that have been updated over the year it has been out.

(herbs at wideopenwest dot com)