[OS X TeX] trouble with bold in fouriernc

Herbert Schulz herbs at wideopenwest.com
Mon Apr 1 13:50:58 CEST 2013

On Mar 30, 2013, at 1:08 PM, Michael Sharpe <msharpe at ucsd.edu> wrote:

> On Jun 8, 2012, at 8:48 AM, Leo Alonso <leo.alonso at usc.es> wrote:
>
>> Hi.
>>
>> Herb Schulz wrote:

>>> Howdy,
>>>
>>> Is there some reason you're using the fouriernc package rather than the fourier package? With the fourier package \boldsymbol{\Gamma} works for me.
>>
>> Both \boldsymbol{\Gamma} and \mathbf{\Gamma} work fine using fourier. But I want to use New Century Schoolbook (or a clone) as my text font and fouriernc seemed to work fine until I reached the bold greek letters...
>>

>>> Can you get the source for the fouriernc-symbol document. That should show you what you need to do.
>>>

>> The source is readily available but I can't get much of it. I suspect there is a bug on it. If you have any idea or suggest an alternative way to get New Century I'll appreciate.
>>
>> Thanks for the responses,
>>

> I'm sorry this is not a timely response, but I did finally look at the fontinst source for fouriernc and found an error which causes the problem with bold Greek. I made a correction and placed the resulting patch for the package (two files, fncmib.{tfm,vf}) at
>
> http://dl.dropbox.com/u/3825336/TeX/index.html
>
> Michael

Howdy,

Did you pass the fix along to the maintainer of the fouriernc package? The fix may not make it into TeX Live 2012 unless it's done quickly (I expect TeX Live 2012 to get frozen pretty soon now in preparation for work on TeX Live 2013) but at least it could get into TeX Live 2013.

(herbs at wideopenwest dot com)