[OS X TeX] Why is cmr10.tfm not being used?

Peter Dyballa Peter_Dyballa at Web.DE
Sat Sep 8 13:29:37 CEST 2012

Am 08.09.2012 um 05:26 schrieb Doug McKenna:

> The question is, why is the trace of the execution saying
>
> {changing \fontname=\fontname}
> {into \fontname=select font nullfont}
> {reassigning current font=\fontname}
>
> up near the top, when I thought I was selecting cmr10?

I wouldn't write you were selecting that font with the intention to use it as the font to be used for typesetting some text.

	\font\fontname=cmr10.tfm

or

	\font\fontname=cmr10

just gives a particular variable a non-empty and maybe a non-default contents. When you then seem to typeset some text you have not chosen to use a particular font for that text. So TeX decides to use it's default value… and this decision is choosing a font and setting that font "active" for typesetting.

--
Greetings

  Pete

These are my principles and if you don't like them... well, I have others.
				- Groucho Marx