[OS X TeX] iOS apps

Herbert Schulz herbs at wideopenwest.com
Wed Sep 5 01:28:02 CEST 2012

On Sep 4, 2012, at 5:44 PM, Scot Mcphee <scot.mcphee at gmail.com> wrote:

> On Wednesday, 5 September 2012 at 04:59 , Alain Schremmer wrote:

>>> Yes but you have to specifically select "Sync" from the menu.
>>
>> I have no idea where and what "Sync" is. I click in the pdf of the
>> whole book and here comes the tex of the included.
>
> Sync is on the context-menu. Apart of command-clicking, I don't see this feature of TeXShop. It does however, do it more accurately, Texpad only jumps and highlights the paragraph where as TeXShop will jump to selected characters so its a bit more accurate.
>
> However the one thing that drives me crazy (sometimes) with TeXShop is the plethora of multiple windows open at the same time. Texpad has a very nice three-pane view. This is the thing with software; we've all got our "one thing" that he hate or love about any bit of software and for most of us, I think that one thing is core to our liking it. I'm sure if TeXShop dropped the multi-document window model then there'd be a whole bunch of people who'd get their knickers in a twist about it - software users are like that! (especially for some reason, some users of open source software). But I digress.

Howdy,

Funny thing is that I really like the separate windows because I can make them overlap so the Source and the Preview each take up more than half the screen. I jump between source and preview using Cmd-1 or via synctex using Cmd-Click. If I'm going to an included file I use Cmd-` which rotates through all windows or Cmd-F2 or Shift-Cmd-F2 to rotate between source windows.

>> There is of course another way to proceed: each included file has a
>> dedicated root file and so does the whole book. Then, when I click in
>> the whole book pdf, not only the included tex file comes up but so
>> does the corresponding pdf.
> Yes I can see that's very beneficial feature - that I will start to use - but it doesn't solve the windowing model. ...

The included files don't have Preview or Console windows.

(herbs at wideopenwest dot com)