[OS X TeX] iOS apps

Alain Schremmer schremmer.alain at gmail.com
Tue Sep 4 20:59:20 CEST 2012

On Sep 4, 2012, at 8:58 AM, Scot Mcphee wrote:

> On Tuesday, 4 September 2012 at 20:43 , Alain Schremmer wrote:
>>
>> On Sep 4, 2012, at 5:41 AM, Scot Mcphee wrote:
>>
>>> It also will parse \include to show you all the files that are
>>> included from the current one. So even if the bit of the PDF you
>>> click on is in an included file it will jump to that file.
>>
>> So does TeXShop.
>>
> Yes but you have to specifically select "Sync" from the menu.

I have no idea where and what "Sync" is. I click in the pdf of the
whole book and here comes the tex of the included.

> I don't really like the multi-document windowing model of TeXShop
> that much, it's sometimes too easy to lose windows in the background
> if you've got a lot of files open. Also if you do that and open a
> file with only a Latex fragment in it, then you have to get back to
> the original, top level file (in some background window that you may
> have to now locate) to press "Typeset" and see your changes.

There is of course another way to proceed: each included file has a
dedicated root file and so does the whole book. Then, when I click in
the whole book pdf, not only the included tex file comes up but so
does the corresponding pdf.

> Because Texpad sees the set of files as all-one-document (if, of
> course, you opened it from the top level document), you can 'sync'
> to a subsidiary file, fix the issue and press "Typeset" and it re-
> typesets the whole thing.

I don't really see the point. I usually work on one chapter at a time
and that the included file has a dedicated root file makes getting its
pdf almost instantaneous. I compile the whole book only once in a
while, mostly towards the end.

> Additionally on the left you've got little navigator / file
> hierarchy thing that shows you the files included from the top level
> one, and you can click around that too.

What I am missing in TeXShop is the ability to fold the sections
inside a chapter, not folding the chapters in the whole book which I
handle as mentioned above.

> The editor is not as powerful though. It was worth the twenty buck
> spend though to have a good look at it. I'm still considering what
> exactly I will do for an editor ... bear in mind my main writing
> tool is still MMD format in Scrivener

You will have to forgive me: I know neither what MMD format is nor
Scrivener. But I will look them up out of sheer curiosity.

Regards
--schremmer