[OS X TeX] Computer Modern in a Mac program

Doug McKenna doug at mathemaesthetics.com
Sun Oct 28 17:22:36 CET 2012

Pete Dyballa wrote -

>> It's gotta be something simple, right?
>
>Yes: CMU! Computer Modern in Unicode encoding and in OpenType format:
>/usr/local/texlive/201?/texmf-dist/fonts/opentype/public/cm-unicode.
>
>You can create in Font Book a Library and populate it with the font files
>from the given directory.

I had all these installed, visible to FontBook, but none of my attempts
to use them from within my code worked.  So I uninstalled them to do some
clean experiments.  And I must not quite have my head wrapped around "in
Unicode encoding" yet.  That means the sigma glyph is accessed using
something other than a character code of "58, that's for sure.  I'm
working at a pretty low level here.

Michael Welsh replied -

>Look at the "TeX Gyre" fonts, which IIRC, were installed with MacTeX.
>There is also Latin Modern -
>http://www.gust.org.pl/projects/e-foundry/latin-modern/download

I will experiment with the Latin Modern fonts after installing them.  But
once installed, it's still unclear to me how I refer to that Latin Modern
font corresponding to what TeX uses for the summation glyph.  Do these
fonts have a different character-code-to-glyph-mapping from what TeX
uses?  If not different, that's one thing less to warry about.

Thanks!

Doug McKenna