[OS X TeX] TS with Retina and 2nd monitor

Scot Mcphee scot.mcphee at gmail.com
Mon Nov 19 13:15:24 CET 2012

I use text shop with two monitors all the time, but my MBP 15" late 2011 model is not a retina display model. There is no real issue using it with two monitors; the Mac works flawlessly with two monitors, you can drag windows between either display as necessary. I tend to use the second display mostly when I am hooked up to it, as the external monitor is both larger in dimension and pixel count that the MBPs monitor.

However, one thing I have to say about the Retina display. Having seen them in store they are *gorgeous*. People say (on the internet, as I know no one personally who has bought one), that once you go retina its hard to go back. Personally however I don't want to buy one ... because I use a second monitor a considerable amount of time. No external monitor will live up to that Retina display. It seems like a helluva step backwards to have a small Retina display on the laptop and a huge, but non-Retina, external display. Personally I am waiting until they release a Retina-resolution Thunderbolt Display!

Oh if you get the thunderbolt display you won't need any display adapters. I use a BenQ 24" monitor which was a very good monitor 2 years ago and the Thunderbolt->DVI adapter. Because of its size, I use the external monitor as my main monitor; I only use the MBP monitor to drag secondary windows onto, except when I am photo editing then I have Aperture display the currently selected photograph in full screen mode on the MBP screen - its colours are calibrated better. If I had the money I'd get the thunderbolt display.

hope this helps