[OS X TeX] TS with Retina and 2nd monitor

Vamos, Peter P.Vamos at exeter.ac.uk
Mon Nov 19 12:40:16 CET 2012

I am contemplating buying the new 13" MacBook Pro with *Retina* display and using it as my *only* computer (home and away) with a second monitor. I have a number of questions below relating to this, advice, comments are also most welcome.

I currently have an early Intel iMac (Core Duo 2006) desktop which cannot run Lion and and a 13" MacBook Pro (2.53 Ghz Core 2 Duo  2009) which is already running Mountain Lion. I am planning to sell  both and buy the 13" MacBook Pro with *Retina* and a 21" external display. (Yes, I know, I'll need to buy adapters as well...)

1) Is TS optimised for the retina display? Does this question makes sense at all? I've read that applications must be optimised for the retina display lest they look *worse* than on a standard screen. On the other hand I surmise that TS uses Apple's own text engine and Pdf  kit so this likely will  be OK ?

2) The 13" MacBook Pro with Retina comes sans HD, instead it has 128GB or, optionally, 256 GB flash storage. The 256 GB version is an extra (GBP) £216 (~ $ 344) with educational discount. Is it worth this extra money? I am usually a believer of not skimping on things which cannot later be (easily) upgraded. I should add that I use Aperture for my largish and growing photo collection and have a fair amount of ripped CDs in my iTunes library, but I also have a NAS (my wife also has a Mac laptop) to hold the bulk of these libraries.

3) Any advice, comment on how to set up and use TS with two screens: laptop + external display. Any monitor recommendations?

Thanks

Peter