[OS X TeX] command-click on the name of a console file

Michael Welsh yomcat at yomcat.geek.nz
Thu Nov 15 05:26:05 CET 2012

On 15/11/2012, at 5:18 PM, Alain Schremmer <schremmer.alain at gmail.com> wrote:
> On Nov 14, 2012, at 10:51 PM, Michael Welsh wrote:
>
>> On 15/11/2012, at 4:42 PM, Alain Schremmer <schremmer.alain at gmail.com> wrote:
>>>
>>> The "bit of occasional bother" remains though because I occasionally work with several documents to keep them in line. e.g.
>>>
>>> RBAv4-1 > CheckableItems > 13
>>> RBAv4-1 > Homeworks > 13
>>> RBAv4-1 > WorkOuts > 13
>>> RBAv4-1 > Quizzes > 13
>>> RBAv4-1 > Text > 13
>>>
>>> where 13 is the chapter number.
>>
>> This is a bit of a hack, but you could use \typeout:
>>
>> Somewhere in the document, I suggest right before \end{document}, have a command that's something like
>> \typeout{RBAv4-1 > Text > 13}
>> This will get printed to the console (after all the [x] stuff about pages), so you know which file it is.
>
> I could not resist checking immediately but, alas, it doesn't show in the console. (I made a search.) It would have been a nice hack, though. I will look into \typeout tomorrow. (Got to get up at 6:00)
>
> Best regards
> --schremmer

That's odd. A minimal example is:

\documentclass{article}
\begin{document}
Hi
\typeout{THIS IS BIG AND HOPEFULLY EASY TO SEE}
\end{document}

and the console output I get is:
This is pdfTeX, Version 3.1415926-2.4-1.40.13 (TeX Live 2012)
 restricted \write18 enabled.
entering extended mode
(./Untitled.tex
LaTeX2e <2011/06/27>
Babel <v3.8m> and hyphenation patterns for english, dumylang, nohyphenation, ge
rman-x-2012-05-30, ngerman-x-2012-05-30, afrikaans, ancientgreek, ibycus, arabi
c, armenian, basque, bulgarian, catalan, pinyin, coptic, croatian, czech, danis
h, dutch, ukenglish, usenglishmax, esperanto, estonian, ethiopic, farsi, finnis
h, french, friulan, galician, german, ngerman, swissgerman, monogreek, greek, h
ungarian, icelandic, assamese, bengali, gujarati, hindi, kannada, malayalam, ma
rathi, oriya, panjabi, tamil, telugu, indonesian, interlingua, irish, italian,
kurmanji, latin, latvian, lithuanian, mongolian, mongolianlmc, bokmal, nynorsk,
 polish, portuguese, romanian, romansh, russian, sanskrit, serbian, serbianc, s
lovak, slovenian, spanish, swedish, turkish, turkmen, ukrainian, uppersorbian,
welsh, loaded.
(/usr/local/texlive/2012/texmf-dist/tex/latex/base/article.cls
Document Class: article 2007/10/19 v1.4h Standard LaTeX document class
(/usr/local/texlive/2012/texmf-dist/tex/latex/base/size10.clo)) (./Untitled.aux
)
THIS IS BIG AND HOPEFULLY EASY TO SEE
[1{/usr/local/texlive/2012/texmf-var/fonts/map/pdftex/updmap/pdftex.map}]
(./Untitled.aux) )</usr/local/texlive/2012/texmf-dist/fonts/type1/public/amsfon
ts/cm/cmr10.pfb>
Output written on Untitled.pdf (1 page, 10699 bytes).
SyncTeX written on Untitled.synctex.gz.
Transcript written on Untitled.log.

Michael