[OS X TeX] TeXShop 3.10

Herbert Schulz herbs at wideopenwest.com
Sun May 27 20:31:40 CEST 2012

On May 27, 2012, at 1:09 PM, Michael Welsh wrote:

> On 28/05/2012, at 4:54 AM, Herbert Schulz wrote:
>>
>> $TSUserCompileOptions = '--shell-escape';
>>
>> to have an empty string, i.e.,
>>
>> $TSUserCompileOptions = '';
>>
>> and all the latexmk engines will lose the --shell-escape flag.
>
> Does this have any tangible benefit (i.e, increase compilation speed), or is it just the proper way to do things?
>
> Michael

Howdy,

It is the right way to do things! It eliminates the (small) possibility of having a nastily composed latex file from running arbitrary code on your system; e.g., deleting all the files in your HOME folder. I don't think you'll notice any change in typeset speed. However you'll have to include tiff files by manually converting them to png (TeXShop 3.10 has a built-in converter) to include them in a document typeset by pdf(la)tex.

(actually there will be a way to completely automate the conversion again but you'll have to wait for MacTeX-2012 [i.e., TeX Live 2012] to set this up. More to come…

(herbs at wideopenwest dot com)