[OS X TeX] TeXShop 3.10

Herbert Schulz herbs at wideopenwest.com
Sun May 27 18:54:53 CEST 2012

On May 27, 2012, at 10:33 AM, Richard Koch wrote:

> Folks,
>
> TeXShop 3.10 is available via the Sparkle update mechanism and at
>
> 	http://pages.uoregon.edu/koch/texshop/texshop.html
>
> The preference settings for pdftex and pdflatex no longer contain the
> flag "--shell-escape"; this is a major feature of this release.
>
> Please read "About This Release" in the TeXShop Help menu
> for instructions on modifying old Preference settings.
>
> We kept this flag around to enable eps --> pdf conversion for old source
> files, to enable tiff --> png conversion during typesetting, and to allow
> tex4ht to call "convert" during its operation. The "About This Release"
> document explains why how these barriers were overcome. Thanks
> in particular to the TeX Live folks for restricted shell escape, which
> is already present in TeX Live 2011.
>
> Dick Koch

Howdy,

Besides the changes in the default base pdf(la)tex engines in TeXShop 3.10, the default file used by the latexmk engines also has the --shell-escape flag turned off. This does not effect previous users of the latexmk engines since that setting does not get overwritten once any latexmk engine has been used.

If it hasn't been edited, previous users can simply remove the ~/Library/TeXShop/bin/latexmkrcedit file and typeset using any latexmk engine to recreate the new default version. Alternatively, you can edit that file and change the line

$TSUserCompileOptions = '--shell-escape';

to have an empty string, i.e.,

$TSUserCompileOptions = '';

and all the latexmk engines will lose the --shell-escape flag.

PS: Besides the new File->Convert Tiff Menu in TeXShop 3.10 I have created a `Tif(f) to Png' Drop Script that will convert any group of .tif(f) files to .png files dropped on it. If you drop a folder onto the Drop Script it will do the conversion on all the .tif(f) files in that folder to .png files. A log file is created with information about each file converted in each folder where the conversion takes place. This gives the user another quick way to do the conversion for multiple files so that they can be directly inserted in files typeset using pdf(la)tex. You can get `Tif(f) to Png.zip' at <https://dl.dropbox.com/u/10932738/index.html>. Comments will be appreciated.

(herbs at wideopenwest dot com)