[OS X TeX] Vertical space

Alain Schremmer schremmer.alain at gmail.com
Fri May 25 01:34:40 CEST 2012

Where can I find some information about the way to control vertical
space? (I cannot predict the effect of the various commands I use, in
particular \\[length]?)

I have looked in Companion II which does not seem even to mention \\
[length], and googled some. I found some interesting sites, e.g. < http://www.maths.tcd.ie/~dwilkins/LaTeXPrimer/WhiteSpace.html
 > and <http://www.personal.ceu.hu/tex/spacebox.htm> but, that I can
see, none mentions \\[length] nor do they quite explain the
differences between requiring a particular vertical space, say, after
a paragraph, after an item in a list or after a table, etc which I
suspect is of the essence.

I am really not asking for an explanation because I can always fudge
something so that there is no emergency of any kind but whether
anybody knows of some explanation, somewhere because it annoys me
having to resort to blind experimentation and not really knowing what
I am doing.

Curious regards
--schremmer