[OS X TeX] LaTexMk (was My files on DropBox)

Herbert Schulz herbs at wideopenwest.com
Sat May 19 23:29:38 CEST 2012

On May 19, 2012, at 4:17 PM, Alain Schremmer wrote:

> On May 19, 2012, at 4:53 PM, David Watson wrote:
>
>> On May 19, 2012, at 3:51 PM, Alain Schremmer wrote:
>
>>> But then why does the fateful line override clicking on LaTeX but not the command Shift-Cmd-L?
>
>> Because the button you click on says "Typeset" and not "LaTeX"
>
> I meant "clicking on Typeset" of course (Sorry about that.)
>
> Let me get this straight:
>
> The button Typeset on the left of the source file and the Typeset command under Typeset in the menu bar are "identical" and Cmd T is their keyboard command. All of them get LaTeXMk to do its stuff, that is to compile twice.
>
> The keyboard command Shift Cmd L prevents LaTeXMk from doing its stuff and compiles only once. But it is not the keyboard command of any button or menu command. Correct?
>
> In any case, somehow, this C.I. (*) has a feeling that it should be the other way around: Cmd T just to typeset---once---and Shift Cmd L to call for LaTeXMk to do its thing.
>
> Regards
> --schremmer C.I.(*)

Howdy,

The Typeset->Typeset (Cmd-T) [or the typeset button on the toolbar] first look to see if there is a `% !TEX TS-program = ....' line and execute that particular engine if it exists. If it doesn't exist it executes the engine chosen on the popup list. The Typeset->LaTeX (Shift-Cmd-L) is a direct link to execute LaTeX on the file (either pdflatex or latex->dvips->ps2pdf depending upon the Pdftex/TeX and DVI setting) so it can't execute an external (to TeXShop.app) engine. Similarly, you can force a bibtex execution by using Typeset->BibTeX (Shift-Cmd-B) independent of chosen external engine in the popup or that line.

(herbs at wideopenwest dot com)