[OS X TeX] undefined \scriptfont

Martin Costabel costabel at wanadoo.fr
Sat May 19 14:49:58 CEST 2012

On 19/05/12 11:01, Ewan Delanoy wrote:
> Hello all,
>
> I have trouble compiling a tex file I downloaded from the Internet. The
> error
> message is the following :
>
> ! \scriptfont 7 is undefined (character B).
> l.1111 $$
>

> According to Adrian JohnStone's concise guide to TeX/LaTeX, this problem
> should be fixed
> by inserting a command \load{size}{font} in the preamble of the
> document, where "size" is one of \tiny,\scriptsize, ... ,\huge, and font
> is one of \rm,\bf,... ,\sl,\tt.

This is an advice for latex and it is not useful for plain tex
documents. The document you are typesetting seems to be chapter 4 of the
pari-gp user's guide, which is a plain tex document. It has its own
macro package parimacro.tex, which is a kind of mini-latex. In
particular, it contains the lines

\font\seventt=cmtt8 scaled 875
\scriptfont\ttfam=\seventt

which takes care of the font in question.

Anyway, your code snippet typesets OK when inserted into a latex
document (with amsmath loaded for the \text macro), and the pari-gp
user's guide typesets OK, too, so your error message must come from
something particular you did. Unless you tell what you did and in what
environment, there is not much chance of a meaningful answer to your
question.

--
Martin