[OS X TeX] Tufte glossary

Herbert Schulz herbs at wideopenwest.com
Thu May 17 23:18:12 CEST 2012

On May 17, 2012, at 4:00 PM, Emily McClure wrote:

> I am attempting to write a lab manual using the tufte-book class. In the preamble, I have included:
>
> \usepackage[acronym]glossaries
> \makeglossaries
> \newacronym{RT}{RT}{room temperature}
>
> In the main matter, the glossaries package seems to work fine: it defines the acronym at the site of first use, then uses the short form in future references. However, the .glo file produced from running LaTeX and MakeIndex (TexShop) is completely empty and no glossary appears in the back matter with the "\printglossary" command. Digging through the error console, I find:
>
> pdfTeX warning (dest): name{glo:RT} has been referenced but does not exist, replaced by a fixed one
>
> Funny, seeing as it defined RT just fine in text i.e. "Let containers cool to room temperature (RT) before securely attaching caps or sealing. Let hazardous waste cool to RT before placing in secondary hazardous waste collection container."
>
> So what's going on? Is this a bug with the Tufte package or am I overlooking something?
>
> -Emily

Howdy,

The problem is that the extensions used by the glossaries package for acronyms are not the ``standard'' ones for a regular index file.

The easiest thing to do, and it also has the advantage of automating the whole process of running bibtex(or biber) for bibliographies as well as makeindex (for all those index-like things like glossaries) and already ``knows'' about acronyms with the glossaries package as well as all the extra compilation runs, is to use one of the latexmk engines. If you are using pdflatex you will want to use the pdflatexmk engine (similarly for latex [the latexmk engine], xelatex or lualatex).

First activate the latexmk engines by moving them (the files with extension .engine) from ~/Library/TeXShop/Engines/Inactive/Latexmk/ two folders up, to ~/Library/TeXShop/Engines/ and restarting TeXShop. (Note: ~/Library/ is the Library folder in your HOME folder. If you are using Lion you can go to your ~/Library Folder by pressing Option and Clicking on the Finder's Go Menu; you see the Library folder listed.) Then place the line

% !TEX TS-program = pdflatexmk

at the top of your file (use latexmk, etc., for other programs) and typeset it by using the Typeset->Typeset (Cmd-T) command. The complete process necessary to create the final pdf file will be completed for you.

Let me know if you have a problem.

(herbs at wideopenwest dot com)