[OS X TeX] Bickham Pro - weights

Richard Seguin riseguin at earthlink.net
Fri May 11 06:13:33 CEST 2012

Michael,

As I've mentioned before, the Bickham Pro regular weight is slightly light, though not objectionably so, for Minion Pro, and the semibold is definitely too heavy, except when I use it in a subscript type of situation where the heavier weight suits the smaller displayed or printed size. Ideally, it would be nice to have a medium weight version, maybe 1/3 of the way from regular to semibold in weight, but Adobe does not supply one. I've noticed that FontForge apparently has some kind of interpolation mechanism for producing intermittent weight fonts, assuming the two weights in question have the same control points in each glyph. Have you ever used this feature? I've never used FontForge, and documentation I've seen is a little vague. I'm not even sure if this processes an entire set of two fonts automatically or if you have to step through the glyphs one by one. (Actually, there is some variation in apparent weight from glyph to glyph, with the Y, for example, distinctly heavier than others.)

Maybe I don't really want to wander off into this swamp in pursuit of perfection. I'm also not sure if Adobe allows such modifications.

Richard Séguin