[OS X TeX] Another math font for MinionPro

Michael Sharpe msharpe at ucsd.edu
Thu May 10 00:29:49 CEST 2012

On May 9, 2012, at 2:56 PM, Nestor E. Aguilera wrote:

> Hi Michael,
>
> On 9 May 2012, at 01:51, Michael Sharpe wrote:
>
> [...]
>> So, you can do one of the following:
>>
>> LaTeX mode: (assumes you have used otfinst to create a package minion in T1 encoding from your MinionPro otf fonts:
>>
>> %SetFonts
>> % Minion + libertine ntxmath
>> \usepackage{libertine}% for math operators and numbers
>> \usepackage[scaled=.85]{beramono}% must set a typewriter font for math
>> \usepackage[TS1,T1]{fontenc}% and an encoding
>> \usepackage[libertine]{ntxmath}% new version of tx
>> \usepackage[cal=rsfso,calscaled=1.0,bb=boondox,frak=boondox]{mathalfa}
>> \renewcommand*{\rmdefault}{pmnj} % use old-style figures in MinionPro text
>> %SetFonts
> [...]
>
> I get "Font shape undefined" errors for `T1/pmnj/m/n' and `T1/pmnj/m/it', which yield a later "perhaps nxlmi is missing from the map file". Is it my setting?
>
> On another vein, I am never sure on the loading order. Would the following be OK?:
>
>   \usepackage{cmap}
>   \usepackage[TS1,T1]{fontenc}
>   %----------------------------------------------
>   \usepackage{libertine}% for math operators and numbers
>   \usepackage[scaled=.85]{beramono}% must set a typewriter font for math
>   %\usepackage[TS1,T1]{fontenc}% and an encoding
>   \usepackage[libertine]{ntxmath}% new version of tx
>   \usepackage[cal=rsfso,calscaled=1.0,bb=boondox,frak=boondox]{mathalfa}
>   \renewcommand*{\rmdefault}{pmnj} % use old-style figures in MinionPro text
>   \usepackage{textcomp}
>   \usepackage{microtype}
>
> Thank you very much for a great work and your patience!

Hi Nestor,

That means TeX cannot find a file by the name of t1pmnj.fd (spelled out, t1(T1 encoding), p(Adobe), mn ( MinionPro), j (with old-style figures), .fd (font definition)) which should have been created by otfinst as part of its conversion of MinionPro in otf format to a collection of PostScript fonts with associated support files. If you have not performed this step, it may be easier to use the second method, involving XeLaTeX or LuaLaTeX, but I think those won't work with the cmap package.

If you do decide to try to use otfinst, it is much easier to use the TeXFontUtility menu item---it creates a custom versions of otfinst that doesn't mess up up your font setup. Don't be alarmed if it takes an hour or more to run all the steps.

I don't see any problems with your loading order, as long as you do have the the proper minion support files.

Michael