[OS X TeX] Finding errors with \input statements in TeXShop?

David Derbes loki at uchicago.edu
Fri May 4 22:32:39 CEST 2012

On May 4, 2012, at 3:13 PM, Herbert Schulz wrote:

> On May 4, 2012, at 3:03 PM, Demitri Muna wrote:
>
>> Hi,
>>
>> I have a very long LaTeX document in TeXShop, and as such I've broken into several files. For each chapter, I use
>>
>> \input{chapter1.tex}
>> \input{chapter2.tex}
>> etc.
>>
>> The "main" file is actually very short. When I compile and invariable get errors, it gives me the line number of the main file. Is there a way for TeXShop to jump to (or open) the actual file that contains the error via the "goto error" button? It would seem that a project-style UI would be a nice improvement here. :)
>>
>> Cheers,
>> Demitri
>
> Howdy,
>
> What version of TeXShop are you using? How are you compiling your file. If you've been using TeXShop for a long time please take a look at TeXShop->Preferences->Engine and see if the commands in the pdfTeX section the Latex line has --file-line-error as an option.
>
> How old is your TeX distribution? That has a bearing on this too!
>
> Good Luck,
>
> Herb Schulz
> (herbs at wideopenwest dot com)

I'm writing a book and doing precisely the same as Demitri (so far, 31 sections; each is roughly a half a chapter.)  My main file sets up all the packages used and a couple of new commands and other stylistic stuff (with massive help from Lars Madsen--THANK YOU!), but is probably no more than 120 lines (of which 64 or so are "'input"). When I get an error, the line number cited is for the line number in the relevant chapter (which I usually can work out as I know which chapter I've been working in), NOT the main file. AFAIK I'm using the most up-to-date version of the distribution.

I don't think I did anything to this preference...

David Derbes
U of Chicago Laboratory Schools