[OS X TeX] how use DropLaTeXDiff, DropTexCount?

Herbert Schulz herbs at wideopenwest.com
Tue Mar 27 13:18:19 CEST 2012

On Mar 27, 2012, at 4:23 AM, Antonio Cosma wrote:

>> Howdy,
>>
>> Those are Drop Scripts.
>>
>> For DropTeXCount.app: simply drop a .tex file onto the app and an htlm file will be created with the texcount information and also open in your default browser. The DropTeXCountFull.app works the same way except that the html file contains more information.
>>
>> For DropLaTeXDiff.app: Drop the two .tex files you want to compare onto the app. A latexdiff.log file along with a new .tex file that can be typeset and will show the difference between the two files. The log file will state which of the two files is older and note that latexdiff finished processing. Once that last statement is in the log file you can typeset the new .tex file to see the differences marked.
>>
>> Good Luck,
>>
>> Herb Schulz
>> (herbs at wideopenwest dot com)
>>

> Dear all
>
> I downloaded the two scripts, and tried DropLaTeXDiff.app out. I get
>
> Unknown encoding 'applemac' at
> /Applications/Utilities2/LaTexDroplets/DropLaTeXDiff.app/Contents/Resources/latexdiff-fast
> line 892
> latexdiff finished
>
> Does this mean that latexDiff cannot work when I use applemac encoding?
>
> All the best
>
> Antonio

Howdy,

The internal script invokes the latexdiff program which uses the encodings available in Perl. Latexdiff looks for a line like

\usepackage[...]{inputenc}

or assumes utf8 encoding if that doesn't exist (ASCII is a sub-set of utf8 and MacRoman). While Perl does understand MacRoman encoding it doesn't understand the `applemac` notation used by the inputenc package so can't process the file.

Are you including non-ascii text in your document (e.g., directly entering accented characters)? If not, then you can remove the inputenc line from your file(s).

(herbs at wideopenwest dot com)