[OS X TeX] Error: I can't write on file '(name)'

Herbert Schulz herbs at wideopenwest.com
Fri Mar 9 23:39:39 CET 2012

On Mar 9, 2012, at 4:17 PM, Alain Schremmer wrote:

>> Output written on 2.pdf (11 pages, 1545666 bytes).
>> SyncTeX written on 2.synctex.gz
>> Transcript written on 2.log.
>
> the pdf sometimes comes out completely blank.
>
> When I open the pdf with Preview, though, it is as it should be and, after that, typesetting seems to yield a non-blank pdf but not always.
>
> Here is the end of the log:

Howdy,

I've always been amazed that the

%!TEX root = ../Text-controls/\jobname.tex

actually works. I wouldn't expect TeXShop (which interprets that line BEFORE (pdf)latex ever grabs it) would ever know what \jobname even means. Is TeXshop attempting to open the correct 2.pdf file? What is the path to the file it opens? (You can see that path by Cmd-Clicking the Window Title for that pdf.)

(herbs at wideopenwest dot com)