[OS X TeX] Changing section headings in memoir

David Derbes loki at uchicago.edu
Sun Mar 4 00:00:24 CET 2012

I'm writing a physics textbook. I would prefer not to use chapters. Instead, I want to divide the book into parts (larger than chapters) and sections (smaller than chapters.)

If I have in the manuscript \section{The Achillies Paradox}, this now typesets as

0.1 The Achilles Paradox

(as I have no chapters.)

What I'd like instead is

\S1. The Achilles Paradox

(where \S is the usual section symbol, §. I'm using the memoir class, and the komalike headstyles.

Having tried without success various \renewcommands as suggested by the memoir manual, I'm turning to experts. Any suggestions would be very welcome.

David Derbes
U of Chicago Laboratory Schools