[OS X TeX] TeXShop after migrating to a new MacBook Pro

Herbert Schulz herbs at wideopenwest.com
Fri Jun 22 02:12:35 CEST 2012

On Jun 16, 2012, at 4:42 PM, R Martinez wrote:

> All,
>
> Wrapping it up.
>
> I removed the incomplete version of /texlive/ and reinstalled MacTeX2011. Everything works now.
>
> Moral of the story. The migration assistant does not play well with /texlive/; only a fraction of /texlive/ is transferred.
>
> Thanks to Herb and Dick for their help.
>
> Raul Martinez
>

> On Jun 16, 2012, at 12:32 AM, R Martinez wrote:
>
>> Dick, Herb,
>>
>> I compared the directories on my original MacBook Pro (where TeXShop typesets uneventfully) and the migrated new MacBook Pro. Here are the results.
>>
>> Original MBP contains
>>
>> /usr/local/texlive/2011/texmf-dist/tex/latex/base/article.cls
>>
>> New MBP contains
>>
>> /usr/local/texlive/2011/texmf-dist/doc
>>
>> In the new MBP, the only directory contained in /texmf-dist/ is /doc/, whereas /texmf-dist/ in the old MBP is fully populated with 16 directories, one of which is /tex/.
>>
>> It seems that the migration assistant did not install the complete directories in the new MBP. Do you agree? Is the fix to delete /texlive/ and reinstall MacTeX2011?
>>
>> Thanks for your help.
>>
>> Raul Martinez

Howdy,

I got hold of an 11" Macbook Air and did a Migration, via the initial setup, from an iMac in Target Disk Mode using a borrowed Thunderbolt cable. Everything was transferred except the files to update the path. A simple run of FixMacTeX2012 (I am using a MacTeX-2012 pretest), which is just the 2012 version of FixMacTeX2011, and all is well.

How did you do the Migration? I'm trying to get some sort of handle on this.

(herbs at wideopenwest dot com)