[OS X TeX] http://tug.org/fonts/fontinstall-personal.html for TeXLive 2011

Herbert Schulz herbs at wideopenwest.com
Tue Jun 19 13:46:50 CEST 2012

On Jun 18, 2012, at 11:25 AM, Murray Eisenberg wrote:

> The page
>
>  http://tug.org/fonts/fontinstall-personal.html
>
> about installing fonts in ~Library/texmf has already been updated for TeXLive 2012 -- even though TeXLive 2012 is not yet generally available.
>
> Can somebody supply or point to a copy of the corresponding information for TeXLive 2011?
>
> Thanks.

Howdy,

The placement of the files (tfm, enc, map, pfb, etc.) is the same in both TL2011 and TL2012 so no change there.

The way you activate fonts installed in the personal tree has definitely changed between TL2011 (and before) and TL2012 (and after).

TL2011 and before:

In TL2011 you activate a font map, e.g., myfont.map, even in your personal tree is to run

sudo updmap-sys --enable Map=myfont.map

in Terminal, giving your admin password as needed.

It is also possible to simply use `updmap --enable Map=myfont.map` but, once you do that you must always use it since the system map file it builds will take preference over the one built by the `updmap-sys` invocation given above. To go back using the `updmap-sys` version you need to remove the ~/Library/texlive/2011/texmf-config folder, for TL2011, and then re-enble the map files you did with `updmap`. Never run `sudo updmap`.

TL2012 and after:

In TL2012 you MUST activate a font map in your personal tree by using one of two methods:

The traditional method running

updmap --enable Map=myfont.map

as above.

Or what I consider a better method since you will never have to worry about remembering all your font maps, etc. Construct a file containing the line

Map myfont.map

(you can have multiple lines with multiple maps --- once entered you need never worry about that again) ending with a blank line and save it as updmap.cfg in ~/Library/texmf/web2c (you may have to create that folder). You then simply run

updmap

with no argument.

Note: unlike TL2011 you can't use `updmap-sys` for inclusion of fonts in your personal tree!

Hope this helps a bit.

(herbs at wideopenwest dot com)