[OS X TeX] macos portuguese

Herbert Schulz herbs at wideopenwest.com
Thu Jun 14 16:01:36 CEST 2012

On Jun 14, 2012, at 8:53 AM, Rosangela Cintra wrote:

> On Thu, Jun 14, 2012 at 3:12 AM, Josep Maria Font <jmfont at ub.edu> wrote:
>
>> Use
>>
>> \usepackage[XXX]{inputenc}
>> \usepackage[portuguese]{babel}
>>

>   I already use latin1 in  \usepackage[latin1]{inputenc}, but my TeXShop
> enconding is utf-8. I changed the inputenc package to utf-8, but the *editor
> * not recognize de symbols ã,õ,ç...
> Now I write using \~a, \~o, \c(c), ....  But my old papers are written with
> ã,õ,ç...
>
> I tried others encoding different from utf-8, but the available options not
> recognize these symbols.
> Do you know any enconding?
>
> Thanks
> Rosangela

Howdy,

You can change the default encoding in TeXShop to `Western (ISO Latin1)' in TeXshop->Preferences->Source->Encoding. Alternatively you can place the line

%%!TEX encoding = IsoLatin

near the top of your Source file. That tells TeXshop to open the file (and Save the file) using Latin1 encoding.

(herbs at wideopenwest dot com)