[OS X TeX] A couple of things about TeX Live 2012

Herbert Schulz herbs at wideopenwest.com
Tue Jun 5 23:46:10 CEST 2012

On Jun 5, 2012, at 4:39 PM, Frank STENGEL wrote:

> Le 5 juin 2012 à 23:13, Herbert Schulz a écrit :
>
> <snip>
>

>> Well, in fact the ``old'' behavior could lead to some strangeness for other users! The map fragments would be defined on the system level but only one user would actually have the fonts so other users attempting to use the fonts would find the fragments of the map files but not the fonts themselves. This makes the fonts actually usable by other users.
>
> Ah. That is one thing I did not know.
>

>> I really don't think this is any more difficult that it was before; if you knew how to install the fonts in your personal texmf tree you use the same folders but under the texmf-local tree. The one addition is to run
>>
>> sudo mktexlsr
>>
>> which many folks ran out of habit anyway. Oh... and the use of the updmap-local.cfg file ends up making it trivial to have TeX Live Utility (via tlmgr) keep everything up to date.
>>

> Thank you. Sorry for the noise. I forgot a cardinal rule: use brain first! :-(

Howdy,

Not a problem and certainly not a flame of any sort is meant. I believe most systems with extra fonts are being used by a single user so in reality folks don't usually run into that problem. On the other hand, having everything just work when tlmgr updates internal fonts seems like a great advantage. I've always said I prefer installing fonts in the texmf-local tree and now there is an even better reason.

(herbs at wideopenwest dot com)