[OS X TeX] a problem with pdftex/TeXShop

Herbert Schulz herbs at wideopenwest.com
Tue Jun 5 13:03:21 CEST 2012

On Jun 4, 2012, at 9:51 PM, Arthur Snoke wrote:

> I open the file in TeXShop and hit Typeset (some of my preamble lines were set for divps to pdf).  In this case it does not seem to mind the documentcall, but does not like the .pdf file that looks fine in Acrobat.

Howdy,

In your first case it looks like you attempted to process the file with pdftex rather than pdflatex.

In the second case you say that you have some ``preamble lines set for dvips to pdf'' but you are processing with pdflatex. Why do you have those lines setup for dvips processing when you are using pdflatex? This can lead to exactly the kind of strange behavior (e.g., hyperref throwing Warnings).

The graphicx and hyperref packages can detect what the front end processor is (pdflatex, latex (latex->dvips->ps2pdf assumed --- must include backend driver for things like latex->dvipdfm), xelatex) so there is usually no need to set the driver.

(herbs at wideopenwest dot com)