[OS X TeX] Multiple tex file search

Alain Schremmer schremmer.alain at gmail.com
Sun Jun 3 18:12:48 CEST 2012

On Jun 3, 2012, at 9:40 AM, Themis Matsoukas wrote:

> On Jun 2, 2012, at 9:13 PM, Alain Schremmer wrote:
>

>> But (why) don't you keep them all in a same super-folder? I even
>> keep the style sheets there!
>>

> For my course I maintain a latex database of more than 100 homework
> problems, each stored in its own folder, along with its figures,
> mathematica notebooks, etc. I then include those selectively into my
> assignments each week. It would be great for me to search (and spell-
> check) them in one shot.

I can see that.

But my wife and I have a recurrent argument with one of our sons, a
software engineer: Find versus Browse.

We want roughly to organize the many, many books/CD on our shelves so
as to find what we want in a finite amount of time. He tries to
convince us "just" to enter them in a database and then search for
what we want. But therein lies the issue. While we want to be able to
find what we want, more often than not, we do not know what we want
and are just browsing for something to read/listen to tonight.

As for the problems for my students, my own (eventual) "solution" was
to organize things around what I called, for lack of a better term,
"checkable items" placed on "shelves". See the attached pdf of "shelf
17" (For Chapter 17) where each line is a checkable item that
corresponds to a file in a database. The check-marks indicate if the
relevant part of the file has been filled-in with an actual question
or not.  (Qz = quiz, Hw = Homework, Rt = Review test, Rs = Review
discussion, Ex = Exam. )

The database is then used by Nicola Talbot’s probsoln package to
create a Quiz/Homework/Review test/Review discussion Exam. It was
Chris Goedde who wrote the first version of the whole thing. Thanks to
both.

Best regards
--schremmer