[OS X TeX] texshop icon

Justin C. Walker justin at mac.com
Sun Jun 3 00:05:17 CEST 2012

On Jun 2, 2012, at 14:40 , Herbert Schulz wrote:

> On Jun 2, 2012, at 4:29 PM, Justin C. Walker wrote:
>>
>> On Jun 2, 2012, at 08:11 , M. Tamer Özsu wrote:
[snip]

>> A couple of solutions have been discussed in this thread, but I wonder: does doing a "Get Info" on the errant file, and then selecting "Open With.." TeXShop, fix the problem?  Has this been tried in the past?
[snip]

> At least in my case, although probably in others too, the association between .tex files and TeXShop was intact; i.e., if I double clicked a .tex file TeXshop would open and load the file. If you did a Get Info… (Cmd-I) on the file it did show TeXShop as the app to open it. Just the icon went generic as though the OS just didn't pick up the icon from the application. I fear that in the name of ``efficiency'' Finder is not doing things it should be doing and not properly updating databases, etc.

This kind of stuff is worth reporting (via <http://bugreporter.apple.com>).

Turns out I just ran into this on my new 10.7 laptop.  The .tex files were "plain text docs", to be opened with Safari of all things.  I set the app to TeXShop (which for me was one of the options), and Lo! there was icon!  At least the rest of them caught on after I clicked on the "All" button.

> Another, different but it still has to do with icons, example on my system is that when I mount an external firewire drive with two partitions on my system 90% of the time at least one of partitions comes up as a generic HD icon rather than the proper firewire HD icon. If I do a Get Info… on that partition the correct icon is shown and then the icon on my Desktop changes. (PS: I got the same thing under 10.6 but the change didn't take place when I did a Get Info… so maybe I should consider that progress.)

Haven't seen that (I used another system as a disk drive while updating my laptop, via FireWire, and the icon was correct).

Justin

--
Justin C. Walker, Curmudgeon at Large