[OS X TeX] texshop icon

Herbert Schulz herbs at wideopenwest.com
Sat Jun 2 23:40:19 CEST 2012

On Jun 2, 2012, at 4:29 PM, Justin C. Walker wrote:

> On Jun 2, 2012, at 08:11 , M. Tamer Özsu wrote:
>
>> I could have sworn that I had seen this topic discussed recently, but I cannot find it in the archives. I am having the problem that the .tex files that are set to be opened by TexShop do not show TeXShop icon in finder -- they simply show blank. Anyway to get the icons to show?
>
> A couple of solutions have been discussed in this thread, but I wonder: does doing a "Get Info" on the errant file, and then selecting "Open With.." TeXShop, fix the problem?  Has this been tried in the past?
>
> Justin

Howdy,

At least in my case, although probably in others too, the association between .tex files and TeXShop was intact; i.e., if I double clicked a .tex file TeXshop would open and load the file. If you did a Get Info… (Cmd-I) on the file it did show TeXShop as the app to open it. Just the icon went generic as though the OS just didn't pick up the icon from the application. I fear that in the name of ``efficiency'' Finder is not doing things it should be doing and not properly updating databases, etc.

Another, different but it still has to do with icons, example on my system is that when I mount an external firewire drive with two partitions on my system 90% of the time at least one of partitions comes up as a generic HD icon rather than the proper firewire HD icon. If I do a Get Info… on that partition the correct icon is shown and then the icon on my Desktop changes. (PS: I got the same thing under 10.6 but the change didn't take place when I did a Get Info… so maybe I should consider that progress.)

(herbs at wideopenwest dot com)