[OS X TeX] BasicTeX and documentation

Axel Kielhorn tex at axelkielhorn.de
Sat Jun 2 10:32:25 CEST 2012

Last year I installed BasicTeX on my laptop to save some memory.
While on the road I discovered that BasicTeX doesn't install the documentation.
Back at home I

tlmgr install texdoc

and asked the TL list for help to get the documentation for the packages installed.

Norbert Preining told me to

tlmgr option docfiles 1

and

tlmgr install --reinstall $(tlmgr list --only-installed | sed -e 's/^i //' -e 's/:.*$//')

which worked fine (and tripled the size of the TeX installation).

Maybe this information can be added to the BasicTeX documentation (not that anyone will read it).

Or even better an option in TLU to enable documentation and reinstall all/some packages.

Yes, I know, it's almost too late for TL2012.
But I used my laptop earlier today and it told me about pretest and I remembered.

Axel