[OS X TeX] Beamer/MacTex2012/old files

Herbert Schulz herbs at wideopenwest.com
Mon Jul 30 13:44:12 CEST 2012

On Jul 30, 2012, at 5:02 AM, Leslie Morland (MTH) wrote:

> Have been trying to follow location and cleanup advice.
>
> My new /Library/Tex folder is missing .scripts mentioned in what is installed file (WII); is this relevant and if so how do I find it?
>
> My lwm/Library/texmf/tex  folder has my original bibtex folder and a "plain" folder dated 2008 -- is this still relevant?
>
> Also a latex folder with my original .sty and .cls files, but an beamer folder dated 2012, which I am pleased to see.
>
> In contrast WII says /usr/local/texmf-local is not touched if already existing. Mine contains a lot of old 2007 files -- is this folder and contained files redundant?
>
> WII says 2 font packages, Latin Modern and TeX Gyre, need separate custom install (which I did not use), but is this only for non-tex use?
>
> su rmdir for clean-up asks for a password, and says "sorry" to my admin password. Is there a default iMac pw I have not seen/changed?
>
> Leslie

Howdy,

Any file whose name starts with a period is usually invisible to Finder and even if you do a plain `ls` command in Terminal; you need to do `ls -a` for it to be seen. There is no reason to do anything in /Library/TeX!!!

Since you placed the stuff in the ~/Library/texmf/tex folder only you can decide whether it's relevant. In general you only need to place personal .tex, .sty or .cls files in that branch of the personal tree. If, e.g., at some earlier date you ``updated'' beamer and placed beamer files in ~/Library/texmf/tex/latex/beamer those files will be found before the newer version found in TeX Live 2012 and you will get a version mismatch.

Did you really mean /usr/local/texmf-local or /usr/local/texlive/texmf-local or ...?

(herbs at wideopenwest dot com)