[OS X TeX] Fonts in TL2012

Herbert Schulz herbs at wideopenwest.com
Fri Jul 27 02:43:11 CEST 2012

On Jul 26, 2012, at 6:27 PM, Michael Welsh wrote:

> On 27/07/2012, at 10:54 AM, Peter Dyballa <Peter_Dyballa at Web.DE> wrote:
>> Am 27.07.2012 um 00:33 schrieb Michael Welsh:
>>
>>> yomcat:web2c yomcat$ locate rcomic8r
>>> /usr/local/texlive/texmf-local/fonts/tfm/microsoft/comicsans/rcomic8r.tfm
>>
>> Michael,
>>
>> as I already mentioned: this file plays no role. At least yet. It was already found.
>>
>> Other fonts where also found: /usr/local/texlive/2012/../texmf-local/fonts/truetype/microsoft/comicsans/comic.ttf for example. Why is a PostScript Type 1 font file also needed? Can you locate this one? I presume: no! Because your locate command looks for file names containing the string "rcomic8r". So locate should list rcomic8r.tfm, rcomic8r.pfb, maybe more. Your error can also be that the PostScript Type 1 font file is rcomic8a.pfb… The "raw" PostScript Type 1 fonts are usually in the Adobe standard encoding, 8a.
>

> I ran that locate command because the error I get now (I made a cfg file with ``Map comicsans.map'' in it, and ran the sudo -H commands in Herb's doc) is :
> !pdfTeX error: pdflatex (file rcomic8r.pfb): cannot open Type 1 font file for reading
>
> So, this looks like pdflatex is looking for rcomic8r.pfb, which doesn't exist, hence it can't open it, and it fails.
>
> I just figured it out -- it's because I don't have italic versions of comicsans and I was using a textit{} command. Remove it, and everything magically works.

Howdy,

Hmmm... I thought you said it all compiled fine with TL2011, or whatever else you had?

Is there a comicsans.sty file? If so, what is its contents? since the font is a ttf, which means you need to use pdflatex, I wonder if installing a map file was not needed and the loading of the map file is done by the package.

(herbs at wideopenwest dot com)