[OS X TeX] Minion Pro questions

Richard Seguin riseguin at earthlink.net
Mon Jul 9 20:26:33 CEST 2012

On Jul 9, 2012, at 12:53 AM, Michael Sharpe wrote:

> On Jul 8, 2012, at 10:05 PM, Richard Seguin wrote:
>
>> I get the error message
>>
>> \reserved at b ->\relax
>>                   \ifmmode \else \non at alpherr \mathbb  \fi \use at mathgroup...
>> l.11 $\mathbb{F}
>>
>> I had \boldsymbol within a macro and no where else. (That particular macro was created years ago.) I removed it, and now instead of producing an error on a \mathbb within the first few pages, the LaTeX compiler processes probably hundreds of \mathbb before stopping on a \mathbb on page 67 with a similar error message.
>

> Adding the line
>
> \usepackage{bm}
>
> at the end of the font-loading macros makes that message go away in the cases where \boldsymbol provokes the error. Whether it helps anything else is questionable.
>
> Michael

I run into the too many math fonts problem using \usepackage{bm}. Taking away all references to \boldsymbol does not completely solve the problem anyway.

Here's another (bizarre) clue. This is a minimal example of the new location in the document that I'm getting that error message. The preamble

\documentclass[11pt]{memoir}
\renewcommand{\ttdefault}{lmtt}
\usepackage[frak=boondox,bb=boondox,cal=boondoxo]{mathalfa}
\usepackage{MinionPro}
\usepackage[T1]{fontenc}

is constant in the following examples. The following gives \reserved at b ->\relax … error (on the last line before \end{document}. The align* environment actually isn't crucial to the error, but I'm showing to give the context of "\text{( by continuity of $\psi$)}" to which this error message is dependent upon.

\begin{document}
$\mathbb{F}$
{\allowdisplaybreaks
\begin{align*}
A &= B &&\text{( by (iii) )}\\
&= C &&\text{( by continuity of $\psi$)}\\
&= D.
\end{align*}
}
$\mathbb{P}$.
\end{document}

The following examples typeset.

\begin{document}

{\allowdisplaybreaks
\begin{align*}
A &= B &&\text{( by (iii) )}\\
&= C &&\text{( by continuity of $\psi$)}\\
&= D.
\end{align*}
}
$\mathbb{P}$.
\end{document}

%*********************************************

\begin{document}
$\mathbb{F}$
{\allowdisplaybreaks
\begin{align*}
A &= B &&\text{( by (iii) )}\\
&= C &&\text{( by continuity of $\psi$)}\\
&= D.
\end{align*}
}

\end{document}

%*************************************************

\begin{document}
$\mathbb{F}$
{\allowdisplaybreaks
\begin{align*}
A &= B &&\text{( by (iii) )}\\
&= C &&\text{( by continuity of X)}\\  % changed $\psi$ to X
&= D.
\end{align*}
}
$\mathbb{P}$.
\end{document}

%*******************************************************

\begin{document}
$\mathbb{P}$.
\text{by continuity of $\psi$}
$\mathbb{P}$.
\end{document}

%***********************************************************

\begin{document}

$\text{by continuity of $\psi$}$
$\mathbb{P}$.
\end{document}

%**********************************************************

\begin{document}
$\mathbb{P}$.
$\text{by continuity of $\psi$}$

\end{document}

The following example gives the \reserved at b ->\relax … error:

\begin{document}
$\mathbb{P}$.
$\text{by continuity of $\psi$}$    %An above example removed the outer $ and typeset
$\mathbb{P}$.
\end{document}

Richard