[OS X TeX] TeXLive 2012 cannot find local fonts

Murray Eisenberg murrayeisenberg at gmail.com
Sun Jul 8 17:54:54 CEST 2012

I've installed MacTeX2012. I'm running as a user with admin privileges.

However, I cannot successfully process any documents that use my local
fonts, installed in ~/Library/texmf.

But I get errors like the following (for a lucida test document):

   kpathsea: Running mktexpk --mfmode / --bdpi 600 --mag 0+294/600 --dpi
   294 hlhr8r
   gsftopk: fatal: map file `psfonts.map
   ' not found.
   mktexpk: don't know how to create bitmap font for hlhr8r.
   mktexpk: perhaps hlhr8r is missing from the map file.
   kpathsea: Appending font creation commands to missfont.log.
   )
   !pdfTeX error: /usr/texbin/pdflatex (file hlhr8r): Font hlhr8r at 294
   not found

I _do_ have the requisite updmap.cfg file in ~/Library/texmf/web2c, with
entries such as:

   Map lucida.map #localtexmf/dvips/lucida/lucida.map
   Map mtpro2 #localtexmf/dvips/mtpro2/mtpro2.map

Per what I understand the instructions in "TeXLive2012Changes.pdf" (H.
Schulz, 2012/06/11) to say, I did run

   sudo updmap-sys

and then, since I had not updated anything with the 2012 TeXLive Utility
or set its preference to include "Automatically enable fonts in my home
directory", I did also run:

   updmap

But that didn't seem to do anything because I get "Permission denied":

    /usr/local/texlive/2011/bin/x86_64-darwin/updmap: mkdir(/Volumes
    /MacHD/Users/murray/Library/texlive/2011/texmf-config/) failed,
    goodbye: Permission denied

So I next ran

    sudo updmap

and that created new map files but said it couldn't find the requisite
map files, including lucida.map (precisely what was needed for the test
lucida document) and asked whether I had run mktexlsr.

So I tried to run mktexlsr, but I got a series of "no write permission"
errors. So of course I then ran

   sudo mktexlsr

which updated /usr/local/texlive/2011/../texmf-local/ls-R....
when that tries

Still document would not compile. I tried again

   sudo updmap

but still no luck in compilation.

What's wrong and how to fix?

Murray Eisenberg                     murray at math.umass.edu