[OS X TeX] Malayalam and other Indian languages on Mac

NMPOST7 nmpost7 at gmail.com
Sat Jul 7 23:31:11 CEST 2012

On 07/07/2012 23:15, Axel E. Retif wrote:
> On 07/07/2012 02:55 PM, NMPOST7 wrote:
>
>> In order to get my malayalam back, I am going to reinstall my ancient SuSe
>> package (9.3), that worked without any problem. I shall think of deleting
>> Ubuntu, which has given me only failures. The version comes with Texlive 2009.
>> I followed the instructions on the net regarding updating. All said and done,
>> the result has been a catastrophic failure (as far as Ubuntu is concerned)
>
> As you are in a hurry, you should indeed go back to what you know works fine for
> you (SuSe Linux, as you said).

Thank you very much. Yes, I am in a hurry; a website to be translated into
German, more than 60 Documents to be produced in English, German, in Malayalam
and in a combination of all the three and then maintaining them. I am a bit
behind schedule.

> Personally, I use Ubuntu, which for me works OK (but with TeXLive
>
> http://www.tug.org/texlive/
>
> not the Ubuntu ---Debian's, in fact--- TeX distribution, which I haven't used; I
> also have TeXLive in my G5 Mac, but it's slower).

Thank you again. I shall definitely have a look, but later on. To be very
honest, I am not comfortable with using SuSE, due to their connection to M$.

I have TeXlive 2011, but as I am on a virtual machine (Parallels) I have found
no way of using the DVD.
> But after your urgent work is done, I would advise you to take a look at Peter's
> and David's recommendations, namely, XeLaTeX and LuaLaTeX. See, for instance,
> the various documents in
>
> http://www.tug.org/xetex/ , like `` fontspec (user interface for font handling)
> '' and `` The XeTeX Companion ''. Also, the TUG Indian group has excellent
> tutorials:

My reading time is limited. I do it between tasks and only during the evenings
as I am working. Right now I have a bit of time and have been spending the time
for this work. I have about three weeks left and after that I shall have only a
very limited amount of time. So trying to catch up.

Thanks and cheers
suren