[OS X TeX] hyperref and lineno issue

Alan T Litchfield alan at alphabyte.co.nz
Sun Jul 1 23:37:29 CEST 2012

Hi Ross,

Had as close a look as I can understand what is going on between
hyperref, nameref, and lineno.

nameref is loaded automatically by hyperref, so that is not an option,
so to speak.

But, the issue seems to be between hyperref and lineno. According to the
documentation in lineno.pdf, there is some incompatibility between them
but that was sort of overcome. However, this is not resolved as my
simple example shows.

Unless I am wrong (which is probable), nameref works a bit like titleref
and produces the section/part/title name and not the reference data. In
using lineno, I want the page and line numbers (reference data), not the
name data.

What appears to be happening is hyperref is not recognising line number
reference data. I can't figure how to get it to :(

Hyperlinks are being created but the undefined status points all the
links to page 1.

This is a snippet from the log with relevant references. From here we
see that nameref is being loaded.
The file, linenohyperrefexample.out is empty.

(/usr/local/texlive/2011/texmf-dist/tex/latex/hyperref/nameref.sty
(/usr/local/texlive/2011/texmf-dist/tex/generic/oberdiek/gettitlestring.sty))
(./linenohyperrefexample.out) (./linenohyperrefexample.out)
(/usr/local/texlive/2011/texmf-dist/tex/latex/psnfss/t1phv.fd)
[1{/usr/local/texlive/2011/texmf-var/fonts/map/pdftex/updmap/pdftex.map}] [2]

Package hyperref Warning: Empty destination name,
(hyperref)                using `UNDEFINED' on input line 58.

Package hyperref Warning: Empty destination name,
(hyperref)                using `UNDEFINED' on input line 58.

[3] (./linenohyperrefexample.aux) )pdfTeX warning (dest):
name{UNDEFINED} has been referenced but does not exist, replaced by a
fixed one

Cheers
Alan