[OS X TeX] Re: MacOSX-TeX Digest, Vol 51, Issue 28

Murray Eisenberg murrayeisenberg at gmail.com
Tue Jan 31 20:38:29 CET 2012

On 1/29/12 22:51:02 -0500, Alain Schremmer<schremmer.alain at gmail.com> wrote:

 > Subject: Re: [OS X TeX] Re: MacOSX-TeX Digest, Vol 51, Issue 27
 >
 > On Jan 29, 2012, at 8:21 PM, Murray Eisenberg wrote:
 >
 >> >  That suggests possibilities, e.g., creating LaTeX as usual, using
 >> >  some tool (e.g., MathJax) to convert to MathML, which is then
 >> >  interpreted by the iBooks format.
 > I wondered whether MathJax could somehow be used but I don't think
 > that MathJax can convert LaTeX to MathM; What it does is to render
 > either one.

Right, MathJax merely renders either one, LaTeX or MathML.

 > I just tried MathJax after it made the cover of the Notices. It is a
 > absolute miracle. You write a two-line script at the top of the page
 > and then you write whatever LaTeX you want. And you can often see the
 > compilation happening right in front of you since it takes a second
 > or so.

I've been watching MathJax in action at stackoverflow.com, where at
times you'll momentarily see some LaTeX markup on-screen which is then
magically transformed into mathematical notation. (I've been seeing it
on the new Mathematica group there.)

The real miracle is that the user needs to do nothing: no browser
plug-in, no installation of special fonts. If the fonts are needed, they
are downloaded on-the-fly from the cloud and instantly used.

Murray Eisenberg                     murray at math.umass.edu
Mathematics & Statistics Dept.
Amherst, MA 01003-9305