[OS X TeX] \makebox{} Ignorance

Charlie Ros5e ros5e at odorf.us
Sun Jan 29 14:31:19 CET 2012

On 2012 Jan 29, at 12:41 PM, Manfred Braun wrote:

> On 29.01.2012, at 14:23, Charlie Ros5e wrote:
>
>> Gentlefolk,
>>
>> I want to produce the following lines in a document:
>>
>> 4. Given the graph of the polynomial function f
>>   a. What is the minimum degree this polynomial can have?
>>
>>   b. Find a possible formula for f(x).
>>
>> But I also want to have a graphic of a polynomial placed to the right of this text. I've never used \makebox{} before but it seemed to be the thing I need. I thought I could put two \makebox{} commands on the same line (with their widths chosen wisely), put the code for the problem statement shown above into the first \makebox{} and the code to display the graphic in the second \makebox{}. Doesn't work. The text of the problem statement gets put into a single line, and I can't figure out how to break it into the multiple lines I need.
>>
>> Questions:
>>
>> 1. Is \makebox{} even the command I need for this application?
>
> no!
>

>>       If no, what *should* I use?
>
> \begin{minipage}[t]{5cm}
>  your text
> \end{minipage}\hfill
> \begin{minipage}[t]{7cm}
>  your figure
> \end{minipage}
>
> the option [t] makes the minipages top aligned, if this is wanted.

Manfred ... that does it! A little diddling with some negative vertical space put the graph just where I wanted it. Many *many* thanks!

>> Charlie Rose
>> Boulder, Colorado, USA
>> Oberaudorf, Deutschland
>
> Manfred Braun
> Kempen, Deutschland
> Tallinn, Estonia

> List Reminders and Etiquette: http://email.esm.psu.edu/mac-tex/

Charlie Rose
Boulder, Colorado, USA
Oberaudorf, Deutschland

Web Site:                    http://www.ros5e.com
My PGP Public Key: Temporarily Unavailable
When Matjes Herring is outlawed,
Only outlaws will have Matjes.