[OS X TeX] installing TeXShop 3.0*

Nitecki, Zbigniew H. Zbigniew.Nitecki at tufts.edu
Tue Jan 24 18:50:16 CET 2012

I currently seem to have both TeXShop 2.43 and TeXShop 3.04 on my (Lion) Mac: TeXShop 2.43 appears to be in ~/Library/TeXShop while TeXShop 3.04 seems to be in my downloads folder.  It appears that I mistakenly thought I had installed 3.04 when I downloaded MacTex-2011 (I see from the documentation that this involves 2.0*, not 3.0*).

Some of my files, when selected, open in TeXShop 2.43, while others open in TeXShop 3.04, creating confusion, since I don't know which has opened unless I go to the TeXShop pulldown menu.  So I would like to get rid of 2.43 and just have 3.04 (or perhaps 3.05 or 3.06, if I'm feeling lucky) despite some features of the new operating system which I hate.

My question is: if I simply move the TeXShop 2.43 file to trash and put the TeXShop 3.04 file (now in downloads) in its place, can I expect everything to work fine, or do I need to make additional adjustments?  Assume I have not created any custom files.

Zbigniew Nitecki
Department of Mathematics
Tufts University
Medford, MA 02155