[OS X TeX] TeXShop's Insert Reference macro and Lion

Herbert Schulz herbs at wideopenwest.com
Wed Jan 18 18:51:40 CET 2012

On Jan 18, 2012, at 10:20 AM, R. Vijay Krishna wrote:

> On Jan 18, 2012, at 11:04 AM, Herbert Schulz wrote:
>
>> Howdy,
>>
>> Is there any TeXShop user with Applescript experience out there who is willing to get TeXShop's Insert Reference macro operating under Mac OS X 10.7 (Lion)? There has been a request for that on the TeXShop Forum.
>>
>> Good Luck,
>>
>> Herb Schulz
>> (herbs at wideopenwest dot com)
>
> BibDesk does this for me, seemingly magically (and somewhat unnervingly).  In a document, I type \ref{ and then press Escape.  I get a list (apparently from BibDesk) that gives me all the labels in the document.  Typing \ref{fig + Escape gives me all the figures in the document etc.  I haven't needed the Insert Reference macro since.  Does this solve the problem?  (I have TeXShop 3.06, Lion).
>
> Vijay

Howdy,

I've already stated that I use the F5 method that uses TeXShop's built-in BibDesk plugin. What you are doing is the same but you are using the Esc key to do it. I use the Esc key to trigger Command Completion so that doesn't work well for me.

The advantage of using the Insert Reference Macro is that you can set a parameter so it will search all files in the same directory as the source for \label commands. That means that if you have a distributed document where you keep all the files in the same directory you still reference a label in another file. Using the BibDesk plugin only searches the open file but my documents tend to be single file documents so I don't use the macro.

(herbs at wideopenwest dot com)