[OS X TeX] Xelatex font map warning that puzzles me

Peter Dyballa Peter_Dyballa at Web.DE
Tue Jan 17 10:54:38 CET 2012

Am 17.1.2012 um 01:58 schrieb Nathan Paxton:

> ** WARNING ** Invalid char in fontmap line: 4
> ** WARNING ** Invalid map record in fontmap line 4219 from pdftex.map.
> ** WARNING ** -- Ignore the current input buffer: ec-hoefler-raw-HoeflerText HoeflerText-Regular 4 <HoeflerText.ttf ec-hoefler.enc

The number "4" is too much. The line seems to be ConTeXt related and since it's specific for a font from Mac OS X it certainly comes from an effort to make the Mac OS X fonts available to pdfTeX and ConTeXt. I think Schmitz, Wierda and others were responsible and also wrote an article for TUGboat or the PracTeX Journal.  – It's the latter, TPJ 2005 No 02, 2005-04-15.

I'm not sure which MAP file fragment is responsible, I'd have to boot my old hardware or search its TimeMachine backups (nothing found meanwhile) to find the MAP file fragment. Once it's known you can remove it from the MAP file and get rid of the report. As long as you're not using HoeflerText all should be OK.

The article does not mention the exact name, so run on the command line

	updmap --listmaps | egrep -v '^#' | wc -l

In this list, 200 lines presumingly, find what resembles HoeflerText (or any other Mac OS X font). If you have chosen to remove more than one MAP file fragment, you can run on the command line

	apply 'sudo updmap-sys --disable %s' <the list of MAP file fragments>

Manually you can run on the command line

	sudo updmap-sys --disable <the MAP file fragment>

This will work on the system. If you want to clean up your private environment just run "updmap" instead of "sudo updmap-sys".

--
Greetings

  Pete

No project was ever completed on time and within budget.
				– Cheops Law