[OS X TeX] MacTeX 2011 missing convert xml files

Richard Talley rich.talley at gmail.com
Sun Feb 5 18:40:41 CET 2012

I have been using LyX 1.6.8 with MacTeX 2009 to write a lot of technical
documentation.

Yesterday I installed MacTeX 2011 (I updated it with the TeX Live Utility)
and LyX 2.0.2.

I have been unable to typeset some of the manuals that come with LyX. Pdf
and eps files don't load, "Error converting to loadable format".

I tracked this down to a problem with MacTeX 2011's installation of the
ImageMagick convert utility.

The 'What is Installed' pdf file says this:

"The package installs “convert” in /usr/local/bin, nine xml initialization
files in /usr/local/lib/ImageMagick-6.6.9/config, and one man page in
/usr/local/share/man/man1."

However, looking at the list of files in the MacTeX package, the nine xml
initialization files are not included! The correct convert executable and
the man page are on my system, but /usr/local/lib/ImageMagick-6.6.9/config
doesn't exist.

Running convert from the command line to convert an eps file to pdf shows
convert searching and failing to find magic.xml and delegates.xml.

Has anyone else seen this? What would be the fastest and easiest way to get
these necessary xml files on my system?

Thanks,

-- Rich