[OS X TeX] Compatibility of Lion and Snow Leopard file structures ?

Christopher Menzel cmenzel at tamu.edu
Wed Feb 1 00:11:47 CET 2012

Am Jan 31, 2012 um 9:28 PM schrieb LuKreme:
> On 31 Jan 2012, at 12:14 , Louis Talman wrote:
>> On 1/31/12, Christopher Menzel <cmenzel at tamu.edu> wrote:
>>> Am Jan 31, 2012 um 4:19 PM schrieb George Gratzer:
>>> I am probably more paranoid than most, but the fact that Dropbox possesses
>>> the encryption keys to your data is one reason why I use (the oddly named)
>>> SpiderOak.
>
> In order for Dropbox to make your files available through the web interface the encryption key *must* be stored by dropbox.

Well, yeah, sure; I suppose it brings come comfort about the Dropbox folks to know that they store your keys out of inescapable architectural necessity, but it doesn't really add to the point. And, actually, unless they've changed the way they do things pretty radically, Dropbox needs your keys for more than web access. There was a pretty big kerfuffle some months back when someone smartly realized that Dropbox touts how it saves storage space via deduplication. But you can't effectively detect duplication in encrypted files, so Dropbox has to be making use of user keys at some point to decrypt.

-chris