[OS X TeX] embedding fonts

Peter Dyballa Peter_Dyballa at Web.DE
Thu Dec 20 22:13:36 CET 2012

Am 20.12.2012 um 20:56 schrieb Bridget Kane:

> but I got a message from Sheridan Communications that my fonts were not embedded correctly

This can mean two things: the standard PostScript fonts (like Times, Helvetica, Courier, Symbol, Zapf Dingbats) were not embedded, which is OK, because PDF does not demand this; or that any or all other fonts were not embedded. The latter can happen with commercial fonts which do not allow embedding, it can also happen due to misconfiguration. And it also depends on the way you create the PDF files: directly with the pdfTeX engine or indirectly with the simpdftex shell script.

To check your systems and your personal settings you can use ('texdoc updmap' on the command line will give you the documentation):

	sudo updmap-sys -q --showoption dvipsPreferOutline
	sudo updmap-sys -q --showoption dvipsDownloadBase35
	sudo updmap-sys -q --showoption pdftexDownloadBase14
	updmap -q --showoption dvipsPreferOutline
	updmap -q --showoption dvipsDownloadBase35
	updmap -q --showoption pdftexDownloadBase14

If any is set to false (default is true, as the documentation claims) you can correct this option's setting by invoking either:

	sudo updmap-sys -q --setoption <the option> true

for the system, or for you only, if you have your own settings, which updmap should have reported before by telling that it found the setting in /Users/<your login name>/.texlive2012/texmf-config/web2c/updmap.cfg:

	updmap -q --setoption <the option> true

You can also use, beside command line tools like pdffonts, Adobe Reader to find out which fonts of the PDF file are not embedded (⌘D).

--
Greetings

  Pete

We are usually convinced more easily by reasons we have found ourselves than by those which have occurred to others.
				– Blaise Pascal